Spend a day on Berlenga Grande, an amazing island in the Berlengas Nature Reserve (Reserva Natural das Berlengas), on this day trip.
Following pickup from your Lisbon hotel, travel to the fishing village of Peniche where you’ll board your boat for the island.
On arrival, visit St John the Baptist Fort and enjoy a guided stroll along the pathways of the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. Then, choose to join an included kayak or glass-bottom boat excursion of Berlenga Grande’s caves.
- Berlenga Grande island day trip from Lisbon, led by an expert guide
- Relax during a scenic boat crossing from Peniche fishing village to Berlenga Grande, an UNESCO Biosphere Reserve
- Snap photos of the imposing St John the Baptist Fort Explore the Berlengas Nature Reserve
- Make the most of free time to swim, snorkel or relax on the beach
- Explore the island’s caves and cliff faces on an included kayak or glass-bottom boat excursion
- Numbers limited to eight, ensuring a small-group experience
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT
Meet your Around Lisbon guide at your central Lisbon hotel and depart for the fishing village of Peniche in a climate-controlled vehicle. On arrival, board a boat for the 45-minute crossing to Berlenga Grande, a postcard-perfect island characterized by secluded caverns and twisting rock formations.
After your boat drops anchor at the tiny island’s port, you’ll enjoy some free time to pick up refreshments or stretch your legs with a stroll on the beach. Then, board a smaller boat destined for St John the Baptist Fort (Forte de São João Baptista), a 17th-century fortress built from the ruins of an old monastery.
Explore the stronghold with your guide and hear fascinating stories of invasions and pirate sieges. Then, uncover the island’s flora and fauna with a 1-hour walk through the Berlengas Nature Reserve (Reserva Natural das Berlengas).
Back at port, break for lunch at one of the seafront eateries (own expense) or, if you've brought food with you, have a picnic on the beach.
When the time comes, join back up with your group for the included cave kayaking excursion. Alternatively, if you’d prefer a less demanding activity, explore the caves in a glass-bottom boat.
After, travel back to Lisbon, where your tour concludes with a drop-off at your hotel.